Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Spiderweb 3 Quilted and Gifted

The third spiderweb quilt, the one with the blue stars finished quickly once I decided on the spiral quilting design.

Spiderweb quilt with blue stars

Nothing but parallel or echo quilting will show on all these busy prints. Plus I expect the quilt to receive constant use.

I started the spiral a bit too close but like it anyway.

Starting the spiral quilting

Even better, this time there are no waves on the edges. I quilted more slowly {although it only took the afternoon} and made sure to not pull the quilt on the bias. Success. Previous spiral result here.

The circles aren't perfect but I think the stitch length is a bit more uniform.

Spiral quilting on Spiderweb quilt

Because of all the bias edges, this top did not pin as flat as most of mine. Choosing a quilting design without crossing lines always helps scoot those bubbly areas into the quilt without tucks. Think this spiral, echo quilting or {best of all} meander or stipple quilting. Parallel quilting lines may be okay or may simply "push" the excess along a create bias stretch waves between rows of quilting.

Due to bias edges on the blocks,
the top of this quilt is not flat.

The back is a single fabric remnant and the binding is almost the last of the pink and green stripe used in Strippy Nine Patch border and Bars 2 binding.  And there's still some left in the binding box. Always a joy to have binding ready at hand.

Binding and backing on Spiderweb quilt

Previous posts:
  1. Starting with leftovers from previous spiderweb
  2. Changing the border
Quilt Details
Size: 40.5"" x 40.5"
Design: Spiderweb 
Batting: Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon100% cotton
Thread: Aqua Aurifil cotton 50/2 thread
Quilting: Free motion spiral 

Spirals remind me of circles which remind me of Dale Fleming's method for making circles. It looks like applique although it's pieced. Instructions were on an old Simply Quilts episode that Patty mentioned a while ago. She used it to mend a quilt of vintage wool; I used it to mend a hole in this quilt.

Circular mend in a palm tree

The technique inspires me to consider making more Quilty365 blocks. Those are on my to-do list this year.

Enjoy the day, Ann

26 comments:

patty a. said...

Another lowly spiderweb quilt! I like the spiral quilting very much. Did you mark it or just go for it? Did you free motion or use a walking foot? I know how the fabric can move on you when doing a spiral and you did a great job. Thanks for the shout out with the circle piecing. I have also done the same technique with a square but that is much more perilous as you have to clip the corners and try not to get a pucker. On the quilt that I did the squares I made sure I quilted right next to the seam line to nail down those corners again because that will be the first place signs of wearing will show. I hope Bruce's quilt holds up for a long time.

Julierose said...

Oooh I love spiderweb quilts--I've done a few and they are such fun to make--yours came out beautifully, Ann. I really like that spiral quilting; my last Spiderweb I followed the seam lines throughout and it took me forever and a day!! Yikes...hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

Fabulous Spider Web quilt, always such a great design. Love your colours and the spiral quilting is a perfect choice.

Janice Holton said...

Gorgeous colors in this quilt! The closer spiral at the beginning kind of gives it a 3-D effect like a whirlpool. I like it!

Cindy said...

LOVE the colors & the spiral quilting! So pretty! Appreciate the tip about not crossing lines, etc. Never tried a big spiral - may just have to now! Thanks for the inspiration. I want to go home now & sew on a spider....

Quiltdivajulie said...

Omigosh I love this quilt!!!!!

audrey said...

The spiral quilting looks fantastic with this one! Great job. It looks so much like an 'Ann' quilt! There's just something about the way you put colors together that makes me think a little harder.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Another beautiful spider web quilt Ann and I love the spiral quilting, it looks wonderful!

Mel Beach said...

I love the fun spin you put on your Spiderweb quilt! Very cool!

Robin said...

The spiral quilting turned out great. It gives the pretty texture without demanding all the attention. Such a lovely quilt.

Ann said...

Thank you for sharing the technique. It's working so well I'm considering using it instead of hand applique for future circles. Squares would be more difficult. Think I'll stick to ovals and circles for a while. Stitching in the ditch, or very close, it a good way to reinforce narrow seams.

Ann said...

They are fun, aren't they, Julie? The border brought mine together. Before that I'd gone back and forth like plucking daisy petals: looks good, looks terrible. Ha.
I quilted the last one along the seam lines, too, and was trying to avoid that this time. It did take a long time. Plus some areas were over quilted while others were under quilted.

Ann said...

Thanks, Linda. The border made the other colors sing. I enjoyed the spiral this time... since I was very careful to NOT pull the bias.

Ann said...

That's a kind thought, Janice. Rewriting my spacing error into a 3D effect. Thanks!

Ann said...

This was a true scrap quilt and made a mish-mash until I added the border. Sometimes a quilt needs a simple one like this. The spiral wasn't that hard but you must be careful not to pull the bias. Look at my last one to see what NOT to do. I'd love to see your results.

Ann said...

Thanks, Julie. The parents do, too. Hooray.

Ann said...

You are so kind, Audrey. I think I can recognize your quilts but didn't realize I had a style, too. That's a lovely thought. You make me think, too. I guess we both like our little minds expanded.

Ann said...

That spiral quilting worked out very well on this quilt. I may be entering a simple echo- or parallel-line quilting phase. It sure is easy.

Ann said...

Mel, you are the best! How kind of your to encourage me when your work is spectacular. Thanks!

Ann said...

What a lovely way to put it, Robin. I was afraid it would compete with the quilt but it does exactly what you wrote. Thanks.

Mary Marcotte said...

I love the spiral quilting for the energy it creates. Such a beautiful quilt!

Kaja said...

I agree with Audrey: this definitely feels like an "Ann" quilt. It's got that scrappy but coherent feel that you do so well and I like the spiral quilting a lot too.

Ann said...

Thanks, Mary. These simple designs work very well for me these day.

Ann said...

Scrappy but coherent. Thanks for the compliment, Kaja.

Marie said...

LUUUUUUUV this! I made a spiderweb quilt in a Halloween palette and just loved it (all of my 'solid triangles' were pieced from tiny black & the occasional dark blue scraps) - I called it Midnight in the Pumpkin Patch. It ended up being a retirement gift for a friend but I really miss it. This looks like the perfect excuse to make another one - I really enjoyed the project.

Ann said...

Oh, I'd like to see a photo of that quilt. It sounds beautifully unique. I hope you make another soon.