Saturday, July 25, 2015

Floating Squares Improv Top Complete

I put nine Flying Square blocks together. You can see them; this is a nine-patch quilt. Not exactly what I wanted but a good first top. It's scrappy and fun.

Floating Squares quilt

The individual blocks are too apparent. Sherri Lynn mentions creating some long strips from blocks. I didn't pay attention until this was sewn together. Having some reserved squares from a block helps when a long strip is needed. They mask the seam line and increase the random effect of the tops. Next time I will actually save some from the start rather than scrounging for the one that didn't pair up.

See the long piece of light blue filler at the top left? Once I replaced it, the seam is less obvious.

Also, the blocks don't need to finish to any specific size. While mine aren't the same, I did actively work to use all of the two fabrics in one block. That means I used more filler to reach a square. Next time, I'll leave them as two or three small blocks if they don't easily make one large block.

This was the original ninth block. The stripe fabric and the small scraps add interest. The  arrangement of the squares and (minimal) filler is much improved. Why isn't it in the top? It was too quiet. So I replaced it.

Floating Squares block in green and yellow

Enjoy the day, Ann

11 comments:

Janie said...

Interesting experiment, the mix is amazing.

Ann said...

Thanks, Janie. I think interesting is the correct word for this.

Stephie said...

How fantastic Ann! I can't believe you've managed to get all those disparate looking blocks to look so good together! I really love your composition, and quite frankly I'm going to give up what I'm doing and go and have a go myself you've inspired me so much!!! x

Ann said...

You know, Stephie. I think almost any group of one person's stash would look good together. We each have our own style and colors.

Kaja said...

I like the feel this piece has and it is interesting to read your reflections on the process and on what you would do differently.

Ann said...

Thanks, Kaja. I like it much better than I expected. Sherri's work is fabulous but you know this "isn't her first rodeo." I thought it would help to write out my process and thoughts as I worked through her scores. There are many things I learned after doing the work - even if it's written in her book.

audrey said...

I definitely want to play with this a little more, but I have a hard time being okay with the blocks not 'blending' well into each other. You're right that it's scrappy and fun looking and in fact, I really appreciate how 'naive' and 'make-do' it can look with so little effort. I'm curious how much experimentation it would take to make it look more polished or if getting to that point would diminish the exuberance of the score?

Ann said...

They don't blend at all. I was trying to get some sense of movement across blocks. Don't think that worked exactly. And I did use leftovers since I had no idea what this would look like. Naive and Make-do are good descriptors. "More polished" would be an interesting idea to try. If one of your beautiful quilts has leftovers, why not try making a baby quilt from it to see?

Stephie said...

That's an interesting point Ann - as long as you only count the fabrics you've chosen yourself! It's interesting looking at the stash I have - there are a lot of fabrics I really wouldn't choose to buy, but hang on to them because they may be useful one day, you never know!

Jen said...

I'm working on floating squares, too! It's such a puzzle, isn't it? I like how yours actually has squares that float, mine turned out more like floating blobs haha! Your fabrics make it interesting and I think you accomplished some movement of color with the greens and red as they cross diagonally through the quilt. Very cool!

Ann said...

Thanks, Jen. I think mine float a bit too much; I wish I'd used less filler. Prints and solids make quite a difference in these tops.