Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Flying Squares Quilt

Although the center of a traditional Flying Squares block is background fabric, I made my quilt from some six-inch nine-patch blocks traded with friends. The traditional center would have more sense of movement. To change the nine-patch to a flying square I simply added a 8-by-2" rectangle and a 2" square to each side with partial seaming. Many people have already posted directions for partial seams; just Google it.

Flying Squares blocks made of light and medium prints on muslin with a border shading from light to dark Crazy Ann blocks
Flying Squares quilt

The border is a block named Crazy Ann (which seemed very appropriate!) The windmill effect of the stars adds to the sense of flying.

There's an inner border of muslin and two-inch squares to maintain the floating effect of the blocks. But that meant the corner blocks had to be slightly elongated. I drafted those on graph paper. Sorry, the sketch is now lost.

Detail of quilt  with Flying Squares blocks made of light and medium prints on muslin with a border shading from light to dark made of Crazy Ann blocks
Detail of Flying Squares

This is still one of my favorite quilts. I love the vintage feel of pastel-to-medium prints on muslin and the parallel line quilting.

Enjoy the day. Ann

4 comments:

Lara B. said...

Oh Ann, it's now one of my favorites too! I really love your Crazy Ann (LOL) border! The way you used color makes it twinkle!

Ann said...

Thanks, Lara. I've always been pleased with the way the border changes from light muslin through medium and then dark blue. I wasn't sure so much change would work in such a narrow width but it was fine. An oldie but goodie.

eloidastitches said...

WOW! I just Love this quilt!! It is gorgeous. And really does twinkle.

Ann said...

It's always been one of my favorites, too. I'm so glad you like it. Thanks for writing.